2016: Move-in instructions for Daisy Hill residence halls
This is the August 2016 move-in day information. Move-in day 2017 will be added when the details are final, but this page will give you a sense of what to expect:
We’re excited you’re beginning your Jayhawk career with Student Housing at the University of Kansas!
- This page is specific to Daisy Hill: Lewis, Templin, Hashinger, Ellsworth, Oswald and Self.
- Move-in instructions for Oliver are here.
- GSP, Corbin and scholarship halls, can be found here.
- Move-in day for apartments begins 8 a.m., Tuesday, Aug. 16.
Significant move-in day details:
- The driver stays with the vehicle and is available to move the car at all times.
- It is not possible to unload trailers, RVs or U-Hauls.
- Here's your assigned arrival time. If you cannot make your scheduled arrival time, you may arrive after 3 p.m. Students pre-approved for early arrival (such as Panhellenic recruitment, band, or Options) receive information from their program.
- If you are bringing a guest with special accessibility needs please call KU Student Housing, 785-864-4560, prior to move-in day.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
Before arrival, print the color-coded permit to your hall and write in the driver's cell phone number. Tape the permit flush to your windshield's driver side so Parking and Transit staff can see letter and color. The color coordinates with the map route lines below. Click the image below and a full-page pdf will open.
- From north, including I-70: Drive south on Iowa (59 Highway). Turn west (right) onto Bob Billings Parkway (which is also 15th Street) and proceed to Crestline Drive. Turn left at the stoplight.
- From the south, including K-10: Drive north on Iowa Street (59 Highway). Turn west (left) onto Bob Billings Parkway (which is also 15th Street) and proceed to Crestline Drive. Turn left at the stoplight.
Once you enter Lied Center parking lot, KU Parking and Transit staff directs you into one of two lines. Irving Hill bridge over Iowa Street will be eastbound, one-way.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR HALL
- You will be directed to an unloading zone.
- Driver remains with the vehicle. A KU volunteer, recognizable by the red KU Student Housing shirt, will help passengers unload. A volunteer stays with your belongings. The student enters the building to get a room key. Students who are traveling alone will receive help at unloading.
- Anyone with limited mobility should stay at the hall rather than travel to long-term parking.
- As always, smoking (including e-cigs and vaporizers), pets and alcohol are prohibited in the halls, even on move-in day.
- First community meeting, 7 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 18. After community meetings, a community meal will be served to kick off Hawk Week.
The driver moves the vehicle to long-term parking near 21st and Iowa Streets. A volunteer at the hall will give you a map and information sheet with the instructions. Please follow these instructions to use the protected left turn onto Iowa and avoid shuttle traffic.
SHUTTLE SERVICE TO THE HALLS
A golf cart shuttle service will be available from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 18. Shuttles run between the northwest corner of long-term parking and near the intersection of Irving Hill Road and Constant Avenue. Drivers need to be capable of walking from the shuttle drop-off point to the residence hall. After 6 p.m., Student Housing residents may move their vehicles closer to their residence hall.
Look for these red shuttle stop signs:
For announcements related to severe weather or other crisis during move-in day, tune to Kansas Public Radio at 91.5 FM. They will broadcast instructions if needed.
Check whether household insurance covers your belongings. Student Housing insurance covers facilities only. Several companies offer policies specifically for students in on-campus housing.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation and patience during an exciting (but somewhat stressful, we know) day. Here’s a sneak peek from last year's move-in day, complete with captions that offer instruction about how it's done, courtesy of the Jayhawks of 2015.