Instructions for Daisy Hill residence halls
We’re excited you’re beginning your Jayhawk career with Student Housing at the University of Kansas!
- This page is specific to Daisy Hill: Lewis, Templin, Hashinger, Ellsworth, Oswald and Self.
- Move-in instructions for Downs (new) Hall and Oliver are here.
- GSP and scholarship halls, can be found here.
- Move-in day for apartments begins 8 a.m., Tuesday, Aug. 15.
Significant move-in day details:
- You are directed every step of the way by many staff members and great signage. Student volunteers will help you unload and move.
- The driver stays with the vehicle and is available to move the car at all times.
- It is not possible to unload trailers, RVs or U-Hauls.
- Here's your assigned arrival time. If you cannot make your arrival time, arrive after 3 p.m. Students pre-approved for early arrival (such as Panhellenic recruitment, band, or Options) receive information from their program.
- If you have a guest with accessibility needs please call KU Student Housing, 785-864-4560, before move-in day. Anyone with limited mobility should stay at the hall with the student. Do not travel to long-term parking. If concerns about mobility issues arise while in the hall, please contact a staff member. Staff members will be wearing either a blue KU Student Housing polo shirt or a red t-shirt that says "student housing" and "staff."
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
Before arrival, print a color copy of the boarding pass to your hall below. Write in the driver's cell phone number. Tape the permit flush to your windshield's driver side so Parking and Transit staff can see letter and color. The color coordinates with the map route lines below.
Click an image below and a full-page pdf will open for printing.
Click the image below to make the pdf larger and to print it. Once you arrive at the starting point, staff and signage directs you every step of the way (so don't be daunted by the challenges of this map!)
- From north, including I-70: Drive south on Iowa (59 Highway). Turn west (right) onto Bob Billings Parkway (which is also 15th Street) and proceed to Crestline Drive. Turn left at the stoplight.
- From the south, including K-10: Drive north on Iowa Street (59 Highway). Turn west (left) onto Bob Billings Parkway (which is also 15th Street) and proceed to Crestline Drive. Turn left at the stoplight.
Once you enter Lied Center parking lot, KU Parking and Transit staff directs you into one of two lines. Irving Hill bridge over Iowa Street will be eastbound, one-way.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR HALL
- If you have two vehicles, try to have the student arrive in the parking corral first so the student can check in and retrieve the room key as the car is being unloaded. Cars arriving before the student will be unloaded into carts by staff as we wait for the student to arrive.
- You will be directed to an unloading zone.
- Driver remains with the vehicle. A KU volunteer, recognizable by the red KU Student Housing shirt, helps unload. A volunteer stays with your belongings. The student enters the building to get a room key. Students who are traveling alone will receive help at unloading.
- As always, smoking (including e-cigs and vaporizers), pets and alcohol are prohibited in the halls, even on move-in day. Please break down boxes for recycling.
- First community meeting will be after 5 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 17. Posters in each hall announce times and locations.
The driver moves the vehicle to long-term parking near 21st and Iowa Streets. A volunteer will give you a map and information sheet with the instructions. Use this route to get to a protected left turn onto Iowa and avoid shuttle traffic.
SHUTTLE SERVICE TO THE HALLS
A golf cart shuttle will run from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 17. Shuttles run between the northwest corner of long-term parking and near the intersection of Irving Hill Road and Constant Avenue. Drivers need to be capable of walking from the shuttle drop-off point to the residence hall. After 6 p.m., Student Housing residents may move their vehicles closer to their residence hall.
Look for these red shuttle stop signs:
For announcements related to severe weather or other crisis during move-in day, tune to Kansas Public Radio at 91.5 FM. They will broadcast instructions if needed.
Check whether household insurance covers your belongings. Student Housing insurance covers buildings only. Several companies offer policies specifically for students in on-campus housing.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation and patience during an exciting (but somewhat stressful, we know) day. Here’s a sneak peek from last year's move-in day, complete with captions that offer instruction about how it's done, courtesy of the Jayhawks of 2015.