Mailing address: 1530 Engel Road, Lawrence Kansas 66045
Phone: (country code +1) 785-864-4750
In 1999, Lewis Hall was renovated and its rooms include two-person rooms with bath, two-person suites, and four-person suites. The top floor of Lewis houses returning students only. Lewis is also home to the Gender Inclusive Housing community; the remainder of the building is freshman-only. Lewis Hall is attached to Mrs. E's dining center. This hall, Templin, and Downs are all single gender by suite instead of single gender by wing, as are the remaining halls.
Living room of four-person suite
Each suite has a kitchen area with sink
Contributing to Academics
- Wireless Internet
- Print your class assignments at the "print anywhere" stations in your hall
- Study spaces available on each floor
- Bunked bed
- Extra-long twin mattress
- Desk chair
- Trash cans
- Venetian blinds
- Emphasis on community service
- Located on Daisy Hill
- Two-person rooms with bath, and four-person suites (view hall layout)
- 280 coed residents
- Location of Ekdahl Dining Commons, Mrs. E’s
- Living rooms on each floor
- Free laundry
- Opened in 1960; renovated 1999
Have Fun Here
- Piano room
- Areas to hang out on each floor
- Lewis Luau in the Spring
- BLT (Both Lewis and Templin) Hall Government
- Walking distance from other students on Daisy Hill
Paige M. Freeman
Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) Community
The University of Kansas is pleased to offer a Gender Inclusive Housing Community to better support our students. Located in Lewis Hall, this option allows students to share a suite with fellow students regardless of their sex, gender identity, or gender expression. KU Student Housing also maintains a strong partnership with the Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity in promoting and supporting this community. Their resources include a listing of all gender inclusive bathrooms across KU's campus.
Students who choose to live in Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) commit to abide by the community agreement and to support a welcoming community for all individuals, which includes embracing the diverse array of sexualities, gender identities, and gender expressions that may be present in the community.
Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) Commitment
As a student selecting to live in Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH), I agree to the following terms and conditions:
- I understand that: (a) Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) is defined as a housing option in which two or more students share a multiple-occupancy apartment or suite, in mutual agreement, regardless of the students’ gender identity, gender expression and/or sexual orientation; (b) that the intent of this agreement is to provide a welcoming living environment for students of all genders; and (c) allows/encourages students who may be in the process of discovering their gender identity, who may not wish to identify themselves by any gender, and/or students who feel more comfortable with a roommate of a different gender the option to find a more compatible roommate and living situation within this community.
- I understand that if I exhibit behavior that is contrary to the spirit of this agreement, I may be relocated to a different housing assignment on campus.
- I understand that all attempts will be made to accommodate students wishing to live in gender inclusive housing; however, assignment will be based upon availability.
- I understand that students who do not identify roommate preference(s) will be assigned roommates who have also selected to live in a gender inclusive housing.
- I understand that I may request a room change. All assignment procedures and associated charges (as stated in the Housing Contract) apply to these requests. Room change requests will be contingent on availability.
- I understand it is my choice whether or not to communicate about the decision to live in a gender inclusive housing option. KU Student Housing will not share this information with anyone other than the student contracted in the gender inclusive accommodation.
- I understand that my roommates and others in this community may not wish for others to know about their participation in gender inclusive housing, and that I am expected to maintain the privacy of those in this community.