Change assignment after move in
Residents may ask to change their assignment after move in. For instance, some residents may want a single room, move in with a different roommate, or move to a different building, space, or room type. However, residents may not move to another space without Student Housing staff authorization, and, if they do, they will incur charges and may face disciplinary action.
Dates during which residents are unable to move are listed below. Typically, a room freeze occurs during the first two weeks after the start of classes each semester. This allows time for staff to identify resident no-shows and assign students who contracted late.
If you need to move immediately, contact the Complex Director for your hall.
Overview of the process
- Submit the online assignment change request form. Choose "myKU" from the uppermost blue navigation bar above or go to the myKU portal page. Enter your KU online ID and password. Select "Services. Click green “Login to Housing” button.
- Rates vary by building and room type.
- Student Housing staff will contact you once your request is either approved or denied. Requests are approved based on space availability and student eligibility for the requested space.
Once your request has been approved
- Residents must accept an approved request within 24 hours or the request is cancelled.
- Student Housing staff will email the confirmed move time and move instructions to you.
- Take your KUID to the front desk of the building to which you’re moving. You must complete the process within 48 hours or you may be charged for both spaces.
- Front desk staff at your new building will check you in.
- Complete your check-in paperwork and get access to your new space. In some cases, you receive a key; other buildings have proximity card access.
- Move your belongings.
- Return to your original hall front desk to officially check out of your old space and return your key (if that building has keys.) If you fail to properly check out, you will receive administrative and damage fees.
|July 31-Sept 3||Room freeze (no moves made)|
|Aug 16||Assignment change request open for submission|
|Sept 4-Nov 25||Fall movement. All moves must be complete by Nov. 26.|
|Nov 26 - Dec 2||Room freeze (no moves made)|
|Stop Day Dec 7||Last day to submit end of semester move request|
|Dec 3-14||End of semester move period. All moves must be complete by Dec 15.|
|Dec 15-Feb 4||Room freeze (no moves made)|
|Feb 5-April 30||Spring movement. All moves must be complete by April 30.|