• Home
  • Change assignment after move in

Due to public health restrictions, there will be few approved moves for the remainder of the semester. Residents may request move to completely empty rooms (which are limited) or request to move in with a roommate(s).

If you request a move in with another person, or a roommate group, every person in the group must submit a move request, even if you do not intend to change rooms. Submit the online move request. Click the "myKU" portal page. Enter your KU online ID and password. Select "Services." Click green “Login to Housing” button. In the preference drop down menu, the original group of roommates should choose "accept a known roommate" and put the new roommate's name in the comment box.

Stouffer Place is an exception to this process. Since Stouffer Place offers a private bedroom with a private bath, roommates will not need to approve an incoming resident. Stouffer Residents my receive a roommate at any time, but will be notified by email 1 day prior to receiving a roommate.


Explanation of room changes

Residents may ask to change their assignment after move in. For instance, some residents may want a single room, move in with a different roommate, or choose a different building or room type. However, residents may not move to another space without Student Housing staff authorization, and, if they do, they will incur charges and may face disciplinary action.

Dates during which residents are unable to move are listed below. Typically, a room freeze occurs during the first two weeks after the start of classes each semester. This allows time for staff to identify resident no-shows and assign students who contracted late.

If you need to move immediately, contact the Complex Director for your hall.

Overview of the process

  • Submit the online move request. Click the "myKU" portal page. Enter your KU online ID and password. Select "Services." Click green “Login to Housing” button.
  • Rates vary by building and room type.
  • Student Housing staff will contact you with approval or denial of request. Requests are approved based on space availability and student eligibility for the requested space.

Once your request has been approved

  • Residents must accept an approved request within 24 hours or the request is cancelled.
  • Student Housing staff will email the confirmed move time and move instructions to you.
  • Take your KUID to the front desk of the building to which you’re moving. You must complete the process within 48 hours or you may be charged for both spaces.
    • Front desk staff at your new building will check you in.
    • Complete your check-in paperwork. In some cases, you receive a room key; other buildings have proximity card access.
    • Move your belongings.
    • Return to your original hall front desk to officially check out of your old space and return your key (if that building has keys.) If you fail to properly check out, you will receive administrative and damage fees.

More than $200,000 in annual scholarships to returning residents
Academic success: More than 94 percent of first-time, full-time freshmen in student housing enroll for the next semester
5,100 residents choose student housing each year
Residence hall rates are almost $2,000 less per year than the national average for public schools
— College Board
$4 million alumni gift funded Krehbiel Scholarship Hall
Options include suites, private bedroom with shared bath, two-person rooms, scholarship halls, and apartments
Oswald and Self residence halls opened in 2015
One bill covers all costs: room, food, utilities, and wireless Internet
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities