Crisis Counseling Resources for KU Students
Watkins Health Center, 2nd floor, 1200 Schwegler Drive, Lawrence, KS 785-864-2277
- On-campus assessment, urgent care and therapy for students.
- Phone or walk-in during business hours: 8am–5pm Monday–Friday
Connects students with free, confidential mental health and wellbeing support available 24/7 via the My SSP app, telephone, and web.
Headquarters Crisis Counseling
- Free, 24/7 crisis counseling by phone: 785-841-2345
- For 24/7 crisis chat services, visit the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline and click on the blue Chat button in the upper right corner
- Text any word to 741741 for 24/7 crisis text services
Bert Nash Community Mental Health Center
200 Maine Street, Lawrence, KS 785-843-9192
- Adult Walk-In Initial Assessment Hours: Monday–Thursday 8am–8pm, Friday 9am–8pm
- If you are in a crisis situation you will not have to wait for an appointment. You will meet with an Access Center representative for registration and then you will meet with a therapist. The therapist will determine the next steps for your treatment and set up your next appointment.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available at all times by calling 800-273-8255
- Ayuda En Español: 1-888-628-9454
- If you are deaf or hard of hearing: TTY line is available 24/7 at 1-800-799-4889
The Crisis Text Line
Free, 24/7 resource for anyone experiencing a crisis. Text KANSAS to 741741 to exchange discreet, confidential messages with a trained crisis counselor.
The Steve Fund
A special keyword, STEVE that young people of color can text to 741741 to connect with a trained crisis counselor, 24/7, confidentially, for free.
The Trevor Project
Free 24/7 crisis intervention and suicide prevention services for LGBTQ people. Phone 866-488-7386 anytime or text START to 678678.
Veterans Crisis Line
The Veterans Crisis Line offers 24-hour phone, chat and text services for veterans or members of their families in crisis. Call 800-273-8255 and press 1, or send a text message to 838255.
Hotline primarily for transgender people experiencing a crisis, including people struggling with their gender identity but unsure they are transgender. If you are not sure whether to call or not, then please call. Staffed by transgender people. 877-565-8860
StrongHearts Native Helpline
24/7 confidential and anonymous culturally-appropriate domestic, dating and sexual violence helpline for Native Americans. 844-762-8483