Instructions Downs Residence Hall
Welcome to Student Housing at the University of Kansas. We’re excited you’re beginning your Jayhawk career with us! Details on this page are specific Downs Residence Hall. You may also wish to print, for your convenience, this set of labels. These labels are optional.
Significant move-in day details:
For announcements related to severe weather or other crisis during move-in day, tune to Kansas Public Radio at 91.5 FM. They will broadcast instructions if needed.
- You are directed every step of the way by many staff members and great signage. Student volunteers will help you unload and move.
- The driver stays with the vehicle and is available to move the car at all times.
- It is not possible to unload trailers, RVs or U-Hauls.
- Anyone who has limited mobility should stay at the hall with the student. Do not travel to long-term parking. If concerns about mobility issues arise while in the hall, please contact a staff member. Staff members will be wearing either a blue KU Student Housing polo shirt or a red t-shirt that says "student housing" and "staff."
TWO ARRIVAL SCHEDULES BELOW
One schedule shows early move in on Sunday, Aug. 18 and one is for the Thursday, Aug. 22 move-in day. Please help by observing the correct schedule (and bringing your patience and a sense of humor!) If you cannot make your arrival time, arrive after 4 p.m. Students pre-approved for early arrival (such as Panhellenic recruitment, band, or Options) receive information from their program.EARLY ARRIVAL TIMES SUNDAY, AUGUST 18
|SUNDAY Move-in Time||Downs Rooms|
|7 AM||Rooms 540-571|
Rooms 400-417 and 440-454
Rooms 100-134 and 141-154
Rooms 422-439 and 465-471
|8 AM|| Rooms 300-317 and 340-354|
Rooms 322-339 and 365-371
|9 AM|| Rooms 200-217 and 240-254|
Rooms 222-239 and 265-271
ARRIVAL TIMES THURSDAY, AUGUST 22 MOVE-IN DAY
|THURSDAY Move-in Time||Downs Rooms|
|7 AM||Rooms 540-571|
|8 AM||Rooms 400-417 and 440-454|
|9 AM||Rooms 100-134 and 141-154|
|10 AM||Rooms 422-439 and 465-471|
|11 AM||Rooms 300-317 and 340-354|
|Noon||Rooms 322-339 and 365-371|
|1 PM||Rooms 200-217 and 240-254|
|2 PM||Rooms 222-239 and 265-271|
Click the image below to make the pdf larger and to print. Once you arrive at the starting point, staff and signage directs you every step of the way.
Your starting point is 19th and Ousdahl Drive. Suggested travel routes to enter Lawrence are available.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR HALL
- You will be directed to an unloading zone.
- Driver remains with the vehicle. A KU volunteer, recognizable by the red KU Student Housing shirt, helps unload. A volunteer stays with your belongings. The student enters the building to activate KU ID card to enter the room. Students who are traveling alone will receive help at unloading.
- If you have two vehicles, try to have the student arrive first so the student can check in as their car is being unloaded. Cars arriving before the student will be unloaded into carts by staff while we wait for the student to arrive.
- The driver moves the vehicle to long-term parking across the street in Lot 90.
- As always, smoking (including e-cigs and vaporizers), pets and alcohol are prohibited in the residence halls, even on move-in day.
- First community meeting will be at 5 p.m. on move-in day. Posters in each hall announce times and locations. Here are other Hawk Week events.
- Please break down boxes for recycling.