If you're traveling during the holidays and stay in a hotel or other lodging, you may be exposed to bedbugs. If you suspect bedbugs once you've returned to KU Student Housing, immediately report it to Housing staff, 785-864-4560, or Facility Services, 785-864-4770.
To help KU Student Housing stay bedbug free, here are some specific ideas:
Outbreaks can generally be traced to travel:
• Check luggage, clothing and bedding at each stop.
• In a hotel, check the mattress seams and the carpet along the wall, especially at the head of the bed.
• Pull bed away from wall. Tuck in linens to avoid contact with floor or walls.
When back home
• Check luggage before bringing it back into your home.
• Clean and reduce clutter to eliminate bedbug hiding spots.
• Regularly vacuum crevices and upholstery.
• Vacuum mattress frequently or encase it in a mattress bag.
• Thoroughly inspect any second-hand furniture “freebie.”