Instructions for Oliver and Downs (New) Residence Halls
Welcome to Student Housing at the University of Kansas. We’re excited you’re beginning your Jayhawk career with us! Details on this page are specific to Oliver and Downs Residence Hall, which is the new hall on 18th Street.
- Details specific to Daisy Hill halls are available. Those halls include Lewis, Templin, Hashinger, Ellsworth, Oswald and Self.
- GSP and scholarship hall instructions can be found here.
- Move-in day for apartments begins 8 a.m., Tuesday, Aug. 15.
Your move-in day schedule includes arrival times, a printable box label, traffic routes and more. Please help by observing the the schedule (and bringing your patience and a sense of humor!)
Significant move-in day details:
- You are directed every step of the way by staff members and clear instructional signs. Student volunteers will help you unload and move.
- The driver stays with the vehicle and is available to move the car at all times. Anyone with limited mobility should stay at the hall rather than travel to long-term parking. There is no shuttle service available at Oliver and Downs Hall.
- It is not possible to unload trailers, RVs or U-Hauls.
- If you cannot make your arrival time, arrive after 3 p.m. Students pre-approved for early arrival (such as Panhellenic recruitment, band, or Options) receive information from their program.
- If you have a guest with accessibility needs please call KU Student Housing, 785-864-4560, before move-in day. Anyone with limited mobility should stay at the hall with the student. Do not travel to long-term parking. If concerns about mobility issues arise while in the hall, please contact a staff member. Staff members will be wearing either a blue KU Student Housing polo shirt or a red t-shirt that says "student housing" and "staff."
Arrival times for Downs Hall, the new hall on 18th Street, are being determined and will be posted as soon as known.
|7 AM||10th and 2nd Floor|
|8 AM||9th Floor|
|9 AM||8th Floor|
|10 AM||7th Floor|
|11 AM||6th Floor|
|1 PM||4th Floor|
|2 PM||3rd Floor|
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
Before arrival, print the color-coded permit of your hall and write in the driver's cell phone number. Tape the permit flush to your windshield's driver side so Parking and Transit staff can see letter and color. Parking staff will direct you to one of two lines, either for Oliver or Downs Hall, just after you exit the Ousdahl roundabout.
Click the image below and a full-page pdf will open.
Click the image below to make the pdf larger and to print. Once you arrive at the starting point, staff and signage directs you every step of the way (so don't be daunted by the challenges of this map!)
Your starting point is 19th and Ousdahl Drive. Suggested travel routes to enter Lawrence are available.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR HALL
- You will be directed to an unloading zone.
- Driver remains with the vehicle. A KU volunteer, recognizable by the red KU Student Housing shirt, helps unload. A volunteer stays with your belongings. The student enters the building to get a room key. Students who are traveling alone will receive help at unloading.
- If you have two vehicles, try to have the student arrive in the parking corral first so the student can check in and receive a room key as their car is being unloaded. Cars arriving before the student will be unloaded into carts by staff while we wait for the student to arrive.
- As always, smoking (including e-cigs and vaporizers), pets and alcohol are prohibited in the halls, even on move-in day.
- First community meeting will be after 5 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 17. Posters in each hall announce times and locations.
- Please break down boxes for recycling.
Check whether household insurance covers your belongings. Student Housing insurance covers buildings only. Several companies offer policies specifically for students in on-campus housing.
For announcements related to severe weather or other crisis during move-in day, tune to Kansas Public Radio at 91.5 FM. They will broadcast instructions if needed. Thanks in advance for your cooperation and patience during an exciting (but somewhat stressful, we know) day. Here’s a sneak peek from last year's move-in day at Daisy Hill, courtesy of the Jayhawks of 2016.