Instructions for Oliver and Downs Residence Halls
Welcome to Student Housing at the University of Kansas. We’re excited you’re beginning your Jayhawk career with us! Details on this page are specific to Oliver and Downs Residence Hall.
- This page is specific to Daisy Hill: Lewis, Templin, Hashinger, Ellsworth, Oswald, Self.
- Corbin and GSP instructions can be found here.
Significant move-in day details:
- You are directed every step of the way by many staff members and great signage. Student volunteers will help you unload and move.
- The driver stays with the vehicle and is available to move the car at all times.
- It is not possible to unload trailers, RVs or U-Hauls.
- Anyone who has limited mobility should stay at the hall with the student. Do not travel to long-term parking. If concerns about mobility issues arise while in the hall, please contact a staff member. Staff members will be wearing either a blue KU Student Housing polo shirt or a red t-shirt that says "student housing" and "staff."
For announcements related to severe weather or other crisis during move-in day, tune to Kansas Public Radio at 91.5 FM. They will broadcast instructions if needed.
BEFORE YOU ARRIVE
Before arrival, print the color-coded permit of your hall and write in the driver's cell phone number. Tape the permit flush to your windshield's driver side so Parking and Transit staff can see letter and color. Parking staff will direct you to one of two lines, either for Oliver or Downs Hall, just after you exit the Ousdahl roundabout.
Click the image below and a full-page pdf will open.set of labels. These labels are optional.
Click the image below to make the pdf larger and to print. Once you arrive at the starting point, staff and signage directs you every step of the way.
Your starting point is 19th and Ousdahl Drive. Suggested travel routes to enter Lawrence are available.
ARRIVAL AT YOUR HALL
- You will be directed to an unloading zone.
- Driver remains with the vehicle. A KU volunteer, recognizable by the red KU Student Housing shirt, helps unload. A volunteer stays with your belongings. The student enters the building to get a room key. Students who are traveling alone will receive help at unloading.
- If you have two vehicles, try to have the student arrive first so the student can check in and receive a room key as their car is being unloaded. Cars arriving before the student will be unloaded into carts by staff while we wait for the student to arrive.
- The driver moves the vehicle to long-term parking across the street in Lot 90.
- As always, smoking (including e-cigs and vaporizers), pets and alcohol are prohibited in the halls, even on move-in day.
- First community meeting will be after 5 p.m. on move-in day. Posters in each hall announce times and locations. Here are other Hawk Week events.
- Please break down boxes for recycling.