Welcome to Sunflower Apartments
UPDATE (June 13, 2023):
We currently do not have availability in Sunflower Apartments and are unable to provide referrals for off-campus options at this time.
Warm and welcoming, Sunflower Apartments are available for university faculty or staff who want a transitional place to live while they look for a permanent home in Lawrence. Rental contracts do not exceed one year. As a part of their application, prospective tenants will be asked to verify their affiliation with KU.
New or current residents can find more detailed information on the Sunflower Apartments Resident Information page.
Preference is given to full-time KU faculty/staff, half-time KU faculty/staff, visiting scholars, post-doctoral fellows, and students with teaching/research assistantships. All Sunflower residents must continue to hold their appointments while in residence. This requirement is waived during summer if the resident was eligible in spring semester and expects to renew a faculty appointment for fall term. All residents are are limited to one year of occupancy. Additional residents are limited to members of the eligible resident's immediate family.
- A $250 security deposit is required. It will be refunded, less the last month's utility charges, when you leave, provided you keep the terms of the contract. You will be billed for any damage costing more than the security deposit.
- If there is an annual rental increase or a significant change in the contract, all residents will be notified in March.
- Any tenant who wishes to move out must submit an Intent to Vacate Form 30 days before moving. The first and last month's rent are prorated.
- Each month’s rent is due on the 15th and is payable on Enroll & Pay or to the KU Student Housing office.
- By signing a Sunflower contract, you agree to follow the contract policies and regulations and those of the KU Student Housing Handbook.
- You may not transfer your contract for a Sunflower Apartment to another person.
Sunflower Apartments GalleryView as gallery page
Sunflower Apartments Floor PlansView as gallery page
The Sunflower Apartments are located on the northwest corner of 11th and Missouri Street, adjacent to the north edge of the KU campus near Memorial Stadium, within easy walking distance of the main campus. These charming one-story, duplex apartments are set in a hilly area with a beautiful nearby sensory garden maintained by the Audio-Reader Network.
Each unit has about 650 square feet of living space, and features a large living room, separate dining room, oak floors throughout. The galley kitchen contains a dishwasher, stove, and refrigerator. Storage space is available in the unfinished basement.
Sunflower Apartments are unfurnished. Optional furniture rental packages are available.
All apartments are non-smoking and follow the KU Student Housing alcohol policy.
- Off-street parking is available with permit.
- On-site, coin-operated laundry
- Water, trash, and sewer services included
- Central heating / air conditioning
- Recycling bins nearby
- Lawn care and building maintenance included