Transition Housing Faculty and Staff

New KU faculty or staff member? Let us help you as you move to KU!

Welcome to the warm, mid-century modern style of Sunflower Apartments at 11th and Missouri. Sunflower Apartments can serve as temporary housing for KU faculty and staff members who are in the process of moving to Lawrence.

Unfurnished apartments are available for faculty or staff who want to live in Sunflower while they look for a permanent home in Lawrence. Contracts do not exceed one year. This is the application form. You will be asked to verify your KU affiliation. Rates are available online. The alcohol policy for Student Housing apartments is here.

A map of the complex is available.


The apartments are located on the northwest corner of 11th and Missouri Streets, adjacent to the north edge of the KU campus (near Memorial Stadium) and within easy walking distance of the main campus. These one-story, brick, side-by-side duplex apartments are set in a hilly area with a beautiful nearby "secret garden" maintained by Audio-Reader. Each unit has about 650 square feet of living space. Storage space is available in the unfinished basement.

These charming apartments have a large living room, lovely oak floors throughout, and a full bank of windows that open to make the space light and airy. There is a separate dining room and each room has windows with blinds. The bathroom contains a bathtub and shower and has a white tile floor. The galley kitchen contains a dishwasher, stove, and refrigerator. The back door of some apartments leads to a central lawn, which is perfect for barbecues or picnics. Other apartments have exterior decks at the back door. All units are equipped with a gas forced-air furnace for heating and central air conditioning. There is an optional rental furniture package available for these unfurnished apartments.


  • Off-street parking is available with permit.
  • On-site coin-operated laundry
  • Water, trash and sewer services included
  • Central air conditioning
  • Recycling bins nearby
  • All apartments are non-smoking
  • Lawn care and building maintenance included

Floor plan for two-bedroom apartment.

Although transition housing is unfurnished, these photos show the amount of furniture that will fit.

Second bedroom

Living room

Dining room

Kitchen is fully equipped with refrigerator, dishwasher and stove.

One of the duplexes has been remodeled to include accommodations in the kitchen and bath. This duplex is now a one-bedroom, one-bath, fully accessible apartment.
Unlike other Sunflower duplexes, the ADA apartment also contains a laundry in the kitchen. Images of this apartment are below

Accessible kitchen.

Accessible living room.

Accessible bedroom.

Kitchen with laundry.

Accessible kitchen.

Living room.


Kitchen with view of living room.

Kitchen from living room.

Accessible bathroom.

Accessible bathroom.


How to Apply

To apply, complete this application form.


Preference is given to full-time KU faculty/staff, half-time KU faculty/staff, visiting scholars, post-doctoral fellows, and students with teaching/research assistantships. All Sunflower residents must continue to hold their appointments while in residence. This requirement is waived during summer if the resident was eligible in spring semester and expects to renew a faculty appointment for fall term. All residents are are limited to one year of occupancy. Residents in the apartment are limited to members of the immediate family.


A $250 security deposit is required. It will be refunded, less the last month's utility charges, when you leave, provided you keep the terms of the contract (i.e. give a 30-day Intent to Vacate Notice in writing and clean the apartment). You will be billed for any damage more than the security deposit. If there is an annual rental increase or a significant change in the contract, all residents will be notified in March. Any tenant who wishes to move out must submit an Intent to Vacate Form 30 days before moving. The first and last month's rent are prorated. Each month’s rent is due on the 15th and is payable on Enroll & Pay or to the KU Student Housing office. By signing a Sunflower contract, you agree to follow the contract policies and regulations and those of the KU Student Housing Handbook.You may not transfer your contract for a Sunflower Apartment to another person.

1021 Missouri St., Apt. ____
Lawrence KS 66044
United States of America


All Sunflower utility bills are sent to the KU Student Housing office for payment and then you are billed for your utility usage by KU Student Housing. Telephone, cable television and internet are optional.

Midco (optional telephone, cable and internet)
Customer Service 1-785-888-1300
Outage 1-785-841-2100

Water, trash and sewer service are included in your rate and are paid by KU Student Housing.


Your bill is emailed to your KU email address on the third week of each month. Your payment is due on the 15th of the next month. The monthly bill is for a calendar month (first day to last day).

  • Pay online through your Enroll & Pay account.

  • Pay in person, over the phone (785-864-4560), or by mail at Student Housing office, 422 W. 11th St., Lawrence KS 66045. KU Student Housing accepts major credit cards, checks and money orders. Make checks payable to the University of Kansas.

  • Pay in person or by mail at Student Account Services, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd, Room 21/23 Strong Hall, Lawrence KS 66045.


Sunflower apartments are unfurnished and have hardwood floors instead of carpet. KU Student Housing has an agreement with Triad Leasing to offer furniture packages for monthly lease. Microwave ovens are not provided, but apartments are equipped with traditional electric stoves. Water beds are not allowed in Sunflower Apartments.


Washers and dryers are not allowed in your apartment, but are available in Building 5 for Sunflower residents only. Your laundry room key is provided when you return the completed Apartment Condition and Inventory form.

  • The machines take only coins, but there are no machines in the laundry room that exchange bills to coins.
  • Use high-efficiency laundry soap. The equipment provider recommends using pre-measured single-serving packets. If there is a question or issue, contact ASI.


Mail is delivered by the United States Postal Service to your mailbox. Your mailbox key opens your assigned mailbox. If you get a package, the mail carrier leaves a key inside your mailbox. Directions are with the key.


Each apartment is treated once a month to ensure a pest-free environment. Treatment begins at 12:30 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month.


If you need a repair inside the apartment call Facilities Services, 785-864-4770. When you call, you give them permission to enter your apartment to fix the problem. Most repairs are at no cost to you. Report these problems immediately:

  • Empty fire extinguisher
  • Broken smoke detector
  • Leaking water, pipes, toilet or ceilings
  • Broken stove, refrigerator, air conditioner or furnace
  • Broken windows
  • Broken electrical outlets


If your apartment key is lost, does not work, or you are locked out, borrow a key from Student Housing, Corbin Hall, 422 W. 11th St. The office is open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. If the office is closed, call 785-864-8305 to speak to the staff member on duty who can get a key for you.


Hilltop Child Development Center provides high quality care and education for young children on the KU campus. To enroll children in Lawrence public schools, call 785-832-5000.


KU is a tobacco-free campus as of July 2018. Tobacco products are not allowed at Sunflower apartments. Pets are not allowed, except for fish in aquariums.


You must purchase a parking permit to park your vehicle in the Sunflower parking lot. For information, contact the KU Parking and Transit Office, 1501 Irving Hill Rd., 785-864-7275. The parking lot is not operated by Student Housing.


Check to see if your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance covers your belongings while you’re at Sunflower. KU Student Housing insurance covers its buildings only.


Residents may live at Sunflower apartments for up to one year. For your security deposit to be returned (less the final utility bill) the Intent to Vacate form must be submitted at least 30 days prior to your move out date.

KU Student Housing
422 W 11th Street, Suite DSH
Lawrence, Kansas 66045
Office Hours: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.

More than $200,000 in annual scholarships to returning residents
Academic success: More than 94 percent of first-time, full-time freshmen in student housing enroll for the next semester
5,100 residents choose student housing each year
Residence hall rates are almost $2,000 less per year than the national average for public schools
— College Board
$4 million alumni gift funded Krehbiel Scholarship Hall
Options include suites, private bedroom with shared bath, two-person rooms, scholarship halls, and apartments
Oswald and Self residence halls opened in 2015
One bill covers all costs: room, food, utilities, and wireless Internet
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities