a student in a wheelchair hanging out with friends in their room


The University of Kansas strives to meet needs of every student. We can offer special assistance for medical needs, mental health needs, dietary needs, or gender identities.

Medical Needs

If you need assistance with a special medical need, please establish a file with the Student Access Center. You will need documentation of your need, as well as a description of the housing accommodation needed.

For assistance in emergencies, you may also create your own personal action plan.

Dietary Assistance

KU Dining Services accommodates your dietary needs for food allergies, medical, or religious purposes. Please visit their website for more information.

Emotional Support Animals

An Emotional Support Animal (ESA) is an animal that provides personal comfort to an individual with a disability. Housing & Residence Life can arrange accommodation for ESAs, however, that accommodation does not extend to other areas of the university. Please refer to the KU Policy on Animals in Buildings.

Students with a documented disability living in Housing & Residence Life who request an emotional support animal as an accommodation will need to register with the Student Access Center via their online application. After you have completed your application, an access specialist will contact you to assist with your concerns, answer your questions, or request additional documentation.

If you have any questions about this process, or if you need help in uploading your documentation, please do not hesitate to call the Student Access Center at 785-864-4064, or email access@ku.edu.

Gender Inclusive Housing

KU is pleased to offer Gender Inclusive Housing, an option that allows students to share a suite with fellow students regardless of their sex, gender identity or gender expression. 

KU Student Housing also supports students of various sexualities and gender identities by accommodating students on a case-by-case basis.