General questions

Why do you ask about felony convictions, pleas or diversions?
The question about possible felony offenses is asked of every prospective resident because KU Student Housing has a goal of providing safe and secure housing to all. If you fail to answer the question when you sign the online contract, contract acceptance will be delayed and you will be contacted personally.
Does KU Student Housing offer Gender Inclusive Housing?

Gender Inclusive Housing, Diverse Sexualities and Gender Identities
The University of Kansas is pleased to offer a Gender Inclusive Housing community to better support our students. Located in Lewis Hall, this option allows students to share a suite with fellow students regardless of their sex, gender identity, or gender expression. Students who choose to live in Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) commit to abide by the community agreement and to support a welcoming community for all individuals, which includes embracing the diverse array of sexualities, gender identities, and gender expressions that may be present in the community.

In addition to the GIH community, KU Student Housing also supports students of various sexualities and gender identities by accommodating students on a case-by-case basis to find rooms throughout campus that affirm their identity. For assistance with these living options, please email Assistant Director for Residence Life Ash Wilson, ashleighwilson@ku.edu.

Where do I find my initial housing charge?
  1. Log into the Enroll & Pay system
  2. After logging in, select Campus Finances
  3. Select Account Inquiry
  4. Click the “Activity” tab and click the green "go" button to view your charges.

For payment information, find out how to pay your charges online. 

To allow a third party/parent to serve as a delegate on your behalf, please follow this information.

How secure are the halls?

Anyone who lives in a residence hall can enter their hall with their KU Card. Anyone who does not live in the residence hall, scholarship hall, or apartment complex must be escorted by a resident.

Halls are locked to anyone who does not have a valid KU Card.

Here are the other security precautions in the KU Student Housing:

  • Residents must scan their identification card to enter their building
  • Student security staff members walk throughout buildings from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
  • Resident Assistants and professional staff on call 24/7
  • Security cameras at entrances and exits to all buildings
  • Health and safety checks performed each semester in all rooms
  • KU Public Safety patrols campus
  • Here is the annual security report about KU safety policies, crime statistics, and campus resources.
  • Here is KU’s meningitis vaccination policy for students living on campus.
  • Residents are responsible for reading and following policies in the Student Housing Handbook.

KU students have free laundry in high efficiency, front-loading laundry machines from ASI Campus Laundry Solutions available in every KU Student Housing building.

If there is a question or issue, contact ASI or find out how to download the service request app.

What happens if I lose my room key?

Lost keys are a serious matter. A lost key not only impacts the safety of the resident who lost the key but also the safety and security of roommates and future residents. We take our residents' security seriously. If a lock change is necessary, a $50 replacement fee is assessed.

Will your insurance cover your belongings while you're at KU?

Check to see if your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance covers your belongings while you’re at KU or consider purchasing a policy from a company that specializes in rental insurance. KU Student Housing insurance covers facilities only. The University of Kansas is not responsible for student personal property that is lost, stolen, or damaged.

Do Internet and cable connection cost extra in the halls?

No. Internet (and all other utilities) are included in your rate. Additional speed and device capacity can be purchased.

The University of Kansas has partnered with Apogee to provide you with advanced network services in your residence hall, scholarship hall or on-campus apartment. Along with optional digital phone service, Apogee provides you with multiple service levels for connecting to the network and comprehensive 24-hour support.

  1. Visit www.myresnet.com
  2. Choose your service level and create an account
  3. Log-on and start browsing.

If you have any questions about signing up for service, please contact Apogee’s toll-free student support center at 1-855-643-2149.

Am I required to live on-campus?

Not at KU. However, most freshman do live on campus. 

Research has shown that students who live on campus get better grades and graduate in a more timely manner than those who live elsewhere. When you live on campus you have so many opportunities to meet and make new friends: students form study groups, roommates become friends, residents watch TV together in the lobby.

Another benefit is the convenience: by living on campus you can roll out of bed, jump in the shower, catch the KU bus to class, eat great meals either in your own hall or elsewhere on campus, and never worry about grocery shopping, washing dishes, paying utility bills, or long commutes.

Students who live on campus say it’s more convenient, safer, and less expensive than off-campus living. We have the staff and resources to help you meet people, become involved and be more connected to the University. Let us be part of this wonderful and rewarding experience that you’ll value for the rest of your life.

KU is committed to providing an exceptional experience of living and learning together. Many factors combine to form this experience, including your expectations. We know that students who are most satisfied with on-campus living:

  • Have a good relationship with student staff (we have the best Resident Assistants, so this one should be easy.)
  • Participate in programs and activities (we have much to offer you).
  • Have a respect for people of diverse gender, race and ethnicity (you’ll be proud to know that student surveys show KU students excel at this).
  • Return next year for more fun.
What if I'm not a full time student?

If you fall below 12 hours (full-time status for undergraduates), you should schedule a meeting with your Complex Director and talk about your plans and contract status. Full-time enrollment is normally required but exceptions can be made for good cause.

Contract & Assignment

I signed a student housing contract but decided to join a fraternity. Will the contract transfer?
No. KU's Greek chapter houses are not operated by the University, so funds do not transfer between the two entities.
Can I move at semester?

Student Housing contracts are for the full academic year. Once you've moved into Student Housing, you have accepted the contract for the full academic year. Refer to the cancellation policy and charges schedule for more information.

If I sign the contract late, will I still get the room I want?

Maybe. Some rooms, such as single rooms or suites, are limited in number. Regardless of when you contract, rooms will be available. The earlier you sign your contract, the sooner you will be able to select your room in the spring.

How do I find my group number?
  • Choose "myKU" from the uppermost blue navigation bar above or go to the myKU portal page.
  • Enter your KU online ID and password.
  • Click “Services” and click “Student Housing.”
  • Click “Sign into Housing.”
  • Click "Select a Space and Dining Plan." Your group number is on that page.
How do I request a dining plan change?

To request a dining plan change

  • log into myKU portal
  • sign into Student Housing under "Services."
  • choose "Dining Plans."

Deadlines for changing the dining plans are on the housing calendar.

How do I change my assignment after move in?

Residents may ask to change their assignment after move in. For instance, some residents may want a single room, move in with a different roommate, or move to a different building, space, or room type. However, residents may not move to another space without Student Housing staff authorization, and, if they do, they will incur charges and may face disciplinary action.

Dates during which residents are unable to move are listed below. Typically, a room freeze occurs during the first two weeks after the start of classes each semester. This allows time for staff to identify resident no-shows and assign students who contracted late.

If you need to move immediately, contact the Complex Director for your hall.

Overview of the process

  • Submit the online assignment change request form. Choose "myKU" from the uppermost blue navigation bar above or go to the myKU portal page. Enter your KU online ID and password. Select "Services. Click green “Login to Housing” button.
  • Rates vary by building and room type.
  • Student Housing staff will contact you once your request is either approved or denied. Requests are approved based on space availability and student eligibility for the requested space.

Once your request has been approved

  • Residents must accept an approved request within 24 hours or the request is cancelled.
  • Student Housing staff will email the confirmed move time and move instructions to you.
  • Take your KUID to the front desk of the building to which you’re moving. You must complete the process within 48 hours or you may be charged for both spaces.
    • Front desk staff at your new building will check you in.
    • Complete your check-in paperwork and get access to your new space. In some cases, you receive a key; other buildings have proximity card access.
    • Move your belongings.
    • Return to your original hall front desk to officially check out of your old space and return your key (if that building has keys.) If you fail to properly check out, you will receive administrative and damage fees.
How do I cancel my contract?

To cancel your student housing contract, follow these steps:

  • Choose "myKU" from the uppermost blue navigation bar above or go to the myKU portal page.
  • Enter your KU online ID and password.
  • Click “Student Housing.”
  • Click “Sign into Housing.”
  • Click "Cancel my housing contract."

The cancellation policy and charges are explained here.

If you are unable to sign in to myKU portal, send an email request to housing@ku.edu.

How do I appeal a contract cancellation charge?

You must submit a contract cancellation request online before submitting an appeal. Applicable charges remain on your Enroll & Pay account during the appeal.

Appeal process

  • All appeals must be submitted in writing to housing@ku.edu and contain the resident’s full name, online ID, and reason you believe an exception to the policy is needed.
  • The appeal must have supporting documentation.
  • Once you submit materials, they’re reviewed by KU Student Housing occupancy management staff. Additional documentation may be required.
  • We will communicate a decision by e-mail.

What reasons are considered for an appeal?
The reasons for which appeals are granted vary. We can't tell you how to write your appeal. It should be based on your situation and must include supporting documentation regarding changes in your circumstances since you signed your KU Student Housing contract - significant medical or financial issues, for example.

What will not be considered?

  • We will not waive the $50 non-refundable application fee.
  • Appeals of cancellations more than a year old.
  • After check-in, cancellation requests will not be approved for students who remain enrolled but wish to move off campus, including Greek chapter houses; full contract fees will apply.
When will I choose my room or apartment?
How do I request a room change?

After you have moved into the building:

Submit your change request online. Here are the instructions

After you've selected your space for next year:

Log into the myKU portal to find available space and reassign yourself. You can only complete this process for yourself, not for a roommate.

Can you help me with a special need?

Student Housing works to ensure that every student has an equal opportunity to succeed at KU. We are here to help you whether your disability is physical, medical, sensory, psychological, or related to attention or learning.

Do you need assistance with a special medical need? If so, please establish a file with the Academic Achievement and Access Center, Student Access Services. You will need to include a description of the housing accommodation plus documentation of your need. Contact information: Academic Achievement and Access Center, 22 Strong Hall, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, Kansas 66045. Phone: 785-864-4064. Fax: 785-864-2817.

Accommodations for Medical Needs
Do you need assistance with a special medical need? If so, please establish a file with the Academic Achievement and Access Center, Student Access Services. You will need to include a description of the housing accommodation plus documentation of your need. Contact information: Academic Achievement and Access Center, 22 Strong Hall, 1450 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, Kansas 66045. Phone: 785-864-4064. Fax: 785-864-2817. You may also create your own personal action plan for assistance in emergencies. This video describes a KU staff member and KU student who used the planning tool.

Dietary Assistance
Dining Services accommodates your dietary needs for food allergies or medical or religious purposes. For assistance, you may set up an appointment or just call the registered and licensed dietitian, 785-864-2424. This page explains the process.

Emotional Support Animals
An Emotional Support Animal (ESA) is an animal that resides in KU Student Housing to provide personal comfort to an individual with a disability. It is an accommodation for Housing only and not permitted in other areas of the University. This is the KU Policy on Animals in Buildings.

Students with a documented disability living in KU Housing who request an emotional support animal as an accommodation will need to register with the Academic Achievement and Access Center, (access.ku.edu)  22 Strong Hall, 785-864-4064, achieve@ku.edu. Take a few moments to complete an online form and upload documentation. After you have completed your application, an Access Specialist will contact you to assist with questions, or request more documentation. Official notification will come from AAAC and Housing will be notified by email and the applicant copied if the ESA is approved.  All official communication is sent through KU email.

How can I request a single room?

KU Student Housing offers a limited number of "structural" singles - rooms designed for one person. Singles are typically reserved by returning residents.

What if the room type I want is not available?

Don't panic. Student Housing maintains temporary closures on some spaces during room selection to accommodate various university programs and students with special needs. We also receive cancellations throughout the assignment cycle. We release new rooms beginning in mid-May, so keep checking back until you find the room that's right for you.

Residence Halls

When do halls change from cooling to heating?

Kansas weather often changes in just a few minutes. For that reason, we don't keep strict dates for our changeover from heating to cooling, or cooling to heating.

System changeover is based on long-range weather forecasts. If the forecast shows temperatures below 55 degrees for three days or more, building heating systems are activated.

Most of our larger buildings are heated and cooled with water loop line systems. Room fans blow across pipes filled with hot water during cold weather or filled with cold water during hot weather. This is economical and works well. We appreciate your patience for the few weeks each year when we're between seasons.

If there are problems, please report the issue to maintenance.

What size are residence hall beds?

Residence hall mattresses are extra-long (36"x80"). Mattresses in these scholarship halls -- Battenfeld, Grace Pearson, Douthart and Sellards -- are standard twins.  Furniture for each resident includes a bed, a desk, desk chair, window blinds, closet and drawer space and trash can.

Residence hall students will receive mailings about extra-long bed linens and carpets. National Residence Hall Honorary has partnered with a company called Residence Hall Linens to provide students with a convenient, affordable way to purchase extra-long sheets and bedding, as well as other campus-living necessities. Proceeds from this program go to the NRHH and are used for residence hall programs. The company offers free shipping on all Value Pak orders, and your order is shipped to your home over the summer. Please visit the RHL website http://www.rhl.org/uks.

Here is a complete list of what to bring.

Scholarship Halls

What is a scholarship hall?

KU has 12 cooperative living halls right in the heart of main campus. The “scholarship” is a lower housing rate because the 50 residents in each hall complete four to six hours of household duties each week, such as cooking or cleaning. You’ll live, study, eat, play and help build traditions. You’ll be a “schol haller” — proud to be part of your community’s diversity and the KU scholarship halls.

Any prospective or current undergraduate student may enter this competitive selection process, based on financial need academic merit and essays.

How do I apply for the scholarship halls?

Any prospective or current undergraduate student may enter this competitive selection process.

What is the bed size in the Scholarship Halls?

Mattresses in all school halls are extra-long twins, 36" x 80" except in Battenfeld, Grace Pearson, Douthart and Sellards where mattresses are standard twins.

Here is a complete list of what to bring


I didn't get the apartment. Can I switch my contract to a residence hall?

Yes. It's simple - just email housing@ku.edu with your full name and online ID with SWITCH TO RES HALLS in the subject line. We'll let you know when we've made the change.


How to explore your housing choices

More than $200,000 in annual scholarships to returning residents
Academic success: More than 94 percent of first-time, full-time freshmen in student housing enroll for the next semester
5,100 residents choose student housing each year
Residence hall rates are almost $2,000 less per year than the national average for public schools
— College Board
$4 million alumni gift funded Krehbiel Scholarship Hall
Options include suites, private bedroom with shared bath, two-person rooms, scholarship halls, and apartments
Oswald and Self residence halls opened in 2015
One bill covers all costs: room, food, utilities, and wireless Internet
One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities