What is Gender Inclusive Housing?
Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) is a housing option that allows students to share a suite with fellow students regardless of their sex, gender identity, or gender expression.
Located in Lewis Hall
KU Student Housing maintains a strong partnership with the Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity in promoting and supporting our GIH community. Their resources include a listing of all gender inclusive bathrooms across KU's campus.
Gender Inclusive Housing Commitment
Students who choose to live in GIH commit to abide by the community agreement and to support a welcoming community for all individuals, which includes embracing the diverse array of sexualities, gender identities, and gender expressions that may be present in the community.
As a student selecting to live in Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH), I agree to the following terms and conditions:
- I understand that: (a) Gender Inclusive Housing (GIH) is defined as a housing option in which two or more students share a multiple-occupancy apartment or suite, in mutual agreement, regardless of the students’ gender identity, gender expression and/or sexual orientation; (b) that the intent of this agreement is to provide a welcoming living environment for students of all genders; and (c) allows/encourages students who may be in the process of discovering their gender identity, who may not wish to identify themselves by any gender, and/or students who feel more comfortable with a roommate of a different gender the option to find a more compatible roommate and living situation within this community.
- I understand that if I exhibit behavior that is contrary to the spirit of this agreement, I may be relocated to a different housing assignment on campus.
- I understand that all attempts will be made to accommodate students wishing to live in gender inclusive housing; however, assignment will be based upon availability.
- I understand that students who do not identify roommate preference(s) will be assigned roommates who have also selected to live in a gender inclusive housing.
- I understand that I may request a room change. All assignment procedures and associated charges (as stated in the Housing Contract) apply to these requests. Room change requests will be contingent on availability.
- I understand it is my choice whether or not to communicate about the decision to live in a gender inclusive housing option. KU Student Housing will not share this information with anyone other than the student contracted in the gender inclusive accommodation.
- I understand that my roommates and others in this community may not wish for others to know about their participation in gender inclusive housing, and that I am expected to maintain the privacy of those in this community.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gender Inclusive Housing is open to any student who wishes to be housed in a gender inclusive environment, and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Once the GIH community is full, students can request other housing accommodations based on gender identity. Please see the accommodations process. GIH was created to provide accessible housing for the LGBTQ+ community with an emphasis on trans students.
Yes. GIH should be a place where queer/trans residents can be comfortable living authentically, and sometimes that means living with a friend who isn’t LGBTQ. We ask that anyone living in GIH joins us in celebrating queer/trans identities and recognizes that outreach and programs in this community will be tailored to a queer/trans population.
Gender Inclusive Housing is not part of a learning community. There is no academic component or requirement for living in the gender inclusive housing option.
Students in GIH who do not identify roommates will be assigned roommates who have also selected to live in gender inclusive housing. Unfilled spaces will not be filled with students who have not requested to live in the GIH community.
Yes, if space is available. The process for changing rooms is different before and after move in. Before move-in, go online to choose a new space. Here are the instructions for changing space after move-in.
No, GIH and honors are two distinctly different communities that happen to be in one building. Our selection process will only allow you to choose one community
Apply for student housing and agree to the contract terms. Students who select Gender Inclusive Housing then receive an email from Ash Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org, 785-864-7035, welcoming them to the community and providing them with more information.
If there are no more spaces, you can email Ash Wilson or email@example.com. We’ll put you on a list and let you know if anything become available. You won’t necessarily know if there is still space in GIH by the time your room selection occurs, so have a back-up plan to be on the waiting list or have a second building in mind.
No. And we’re glad to be here to help you find a supportive GIH community at KU.