What is Gender Inclusive Housing?
Students have a housing option that allows them to share a space with fellow students regardless of their sex, gender identity, or gender expression.
KU Student Housing seeks to provide a living environment welcoming to all gender identities. Gender Inclusive Housing allows/encourages students who may be in the process of discovering their gender identity, who may not wish to identify themselves by any gender; and/or students who feel more comfortable with a roommate of a different gender, the option to find a more compatible roommate and living situation within KU Student Housing. Our primary focus for Gender Inclusive Housing are trans and queer individuals. We understand students might need Gender Inclusive Housing for a variety of reasons related to their gender identity, expression, and/or sexual orientation. These options allow students the ability to find more comfortable housing options and roommates than our standard options might provide.
There are two options for students interested in Gender Inclusive Housing:
The Rainbow Community in Lewis Hall serves LGBTQIA+ students and allies with programming and support in partnership with the Center for Sexuality and Gender Diversity. This housing option allows you to share a suite with fellow students regardless of sex, gender identity, or gender expression. It also includes gendered space where you can live with students who share your gender identity if you prefer.
Each Rainbow Community suite includes a shared living room space and a shared bathroom within the suite.
Students who choose to live in the Rainbow Community commit to abide by the Gender Inclusive Housing Commitment and to support a welcoming community for all individuals, which includes embracing the diverse array of sexualities, gender identities, and gender expressions that may be present in the community.
Gender Inclusive Assignments
A gender inclusive assignment is defined as a housing option in which two or more students share a multiple-occupancy space, in mutual agreement, regardless of the students’ sex, gender identity, and/or gender expression. This assignment is not within the Rainbow Community in Lewis Hall.
As a student selecting to live in Gender Inclusive Housing, I agree to the following terms and conditions:
- I understand that: (a) Gender Inclusive Housing is defined as a housing option in which two or more students share a multiple-occupancy apartment or suite, in mutual agreement, regardless of the students’ gender identity, gender expression and/or sexual orientation; (b) that the intent of this agreement is to provide a welcoming living environment for students of all genders; and (c) allows/encourages students who may be in the process of discovering their gender identity, who may not wish to identify themselves by any gender, and/or students who feel more comfortable with a roommate of a different gender the option to find a more compatible roommate and living situation.
- I understand that if I exhibit behavior that is contrary to the spirit of this agreement, I may be relocated to a different housing assignment on campus.
- I understand that all attempts will be made to accommodate students wishing to live in Gender Inclusive Housing; however, assignments will be based upon availability. Students are able to work with KU Student Housing to receive a gender inclusive accommodation in another housing facility.
- I understand students who do not identify roommate preference(s) will be assigned roommates who have also opted to live in a Gender Inclusive Housing assignment.
- I understand living in Gender Inclusive Housing does not prevent me from requesting a room change. All assignment procedures and associated charges (as stated in the Housing Contract) apply to these requests. Room change requests will be contingent on availability.
- I understand it is my choice to communicate about my decision to live in a Gender Inclusive Housing option. KU Student Housing will not share this information with anyone other than the contracted student.
- I understand that my roommates and others in Gender Inclusive Housing may not wish for others to know about their participation in Gender Inclusive Housing, and that I am expected to maintain the privacy of those in Gender Inclusive Housing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Gender Inclusive Housing is open to any student who wishes to be housed in a gender inclusive environment, and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Once the Rainbow Community is full, students can request other housing accommodations based on gender identity. Please see the accommodations process. Gender Inclusive Housing was created to provide accessible housing for the LGBTQIA+ community with an emphasis on trans students.
Yes. Gender Inclusive Housing should be a place where LGBTQIA+ residents can be comfortable living authentically, and sometimes that means living with a friend who isn’t LGBTQIA+. We ask that anyone living in Gender Inclusive Housing joins us in celebrating LGBTQIA+ identities and recognizes that outreach and programs in this community will be tailored to that population.
Students in Gender Inclusive Housing who do not identify roommates will be assigned roommates who have also selected to live in Gender Inclusive Housing. Unfilled spaces will not be filled with students who have not requested to live in the Gender Inclusive Housing community.
Yes, if space is available. The process for changing rooms is different before and after move in. Before move-in, go online to choose a new space. Here are the instructions for changing space after move-in.
First, follow the process described on the application page to apply to student housing and accept the contract terms. You may then indicate your preference for Gender Inclusive Housing inside the myKU portal. Afterward you will receive an email welcoming you to the community and providing you with more information.
We’re glad to be here to help you find a supportive Gender Inclusive Housing community at KU.