Mailing address: 1506 Lilac Lane, Lawrence, Kansas 66044
Phone: (country code +1) 785-812-3138
Watkins opened in 1926 as the first of KU’s scholarship halls and maintains strong bonds with alumnae by hosting an annual spring tea. Long-time traditions such as “candlelightings" and a “Heaven and Hell” party have been revitalized, while new traditions provide opportunities for innovation. Monthly kitchen fees are determined by the residents.
One of the many gathering places in Watkins Hall.
One of the seven kitchens used by Watkins women.
Baking bread in one of the seven kitchens.
Watkins study room.
A study room. The women sleep in a large sleeping porch area.
Move-in day at Watkins.
Watkins hosts the annual Heaven and Hell Party.
Schol hallers participate in the Heaven and Hell costume contest as Ms. Frizzle and the Magic School Bus.
Contributing to Academics
- Wireless Internet
- Academic Resource Center with computers, printers and study aids
- Sleeping porches with bunked beds
- Twin extra-long mattress
- Living spaces with two-to-four residents each
- Desk chair
- Trash cans
- Venetian blinds
- Located near Memorial Stadium, the Kansas Union and Downtown Lawrence
- Rooms with dresser, closet and study space
- Two sleeping porches
- Seven shared kitchens and dining areas
- About 50 female residents
- Free laundry
- KU’s first scholarship hall
- Opened in 1926
Have Fun Here
- Strong alumni connections (K-8, the Miller/Watkins alumni group) with a mentoring program
- Annual Heaven and Hell Halloween Party