What to Bring

a pair of smiling students helping carry boxes on move-in day

Packing Lists

These suggested packing lists will help you think about what you need to bring and what's prohibited in your room at KU. Packing lists for residence and scholarship halls vary slightly from apartments.

For information about what furniture is provided, including mattress size details and bed configurations, please see the furniture page.


  • Bedspread, blankets, sheets
  • Pillow and pillowcases
  • Laundry basket and detergent pods
  • Clothing
  • Clothes hangers
  • Clothes iron
  • Fan
  • Desk and floor lamps


  • First aid kit
  • Medications
  • Toiletries such as a toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, comb
  • Towels and washcloths
  • Shower caddy
  • Bathrobe
  • Shower shoes
  • Toilet paper (only applies to apartments and suites with bathrooms)
  • Supplies for cleaning bathroom (see note below about bathroom cleaning responsibilities)


  • Cups, a few plates and bowls
  • Utensils
  • Water bottle
  • Refrigerators (should be no more than 4.5 cubic feet)
  • Microwaves (must be less than 1,000 watts)
  • Dish soap, dish towels

School & Work

  • Backpack
  • Pens and pencils
  • Notebooks
  • Photo ID and Social Security card (required for on-campus employment)
  • Current medical insurance card and immunization record
  • Debit and credit card


  • Cell phone
  • Computer (Consider file backup precautions such as a cloud-based service or an external hard drive.)
  • Surge protectors and power strip
  • Charging cables


  • Detergent pods
  • Wastebasket
  • Trash bags
  • Sponges 
  • Dust cloths
  • Disinfectant spray


  • Sewing kit
  • Umbrella
  • Bicycle with U-lock
  • Bike helmet
  • Decorations
  • Push pins

The "all residents" packing list is a useful start, but apartment residents will likely need to coordinate with roommates to have the things necessary for a full-size kitchen.

Apartment Kitchen

  • Drinking glasses and mugs
  • Plates and bowls
  • Forks, knives, and spoons
  • Kitchen knives
  • Cutting boards
  • Cooking pots, pans, baking sheets
  • Spatula, whisk, mixing spoons and other cooking utensils
  • Small kitchen appliances
    • Microwave
    • Toaster
    • Blender
    • Hand mixer
    • Toaster oven
  • Measuring cups
  • Mixing bowls
  • Colander
  • Dishwasher detergent
  • Reusable silicone bags, beeswax covers, parchment paper, aluminum foil
  • Food storage containers
  • Can opener, bottle opener
  • Coffee maker

Jayhawker Towers residents only:

  • Shower curtain (Towers bath contains shower rod. Shower curtains are provided in Stouffer and McCarthy.)

For comprehensive information regarding prohibited items, refer to the Student Housing Handbook.

Prohibited items in all communities include:

  • Command strips (Use push pins or thumbtacks on sheetrock walls. Use tape for block or plaster walls.)
  • Halogen lamps
  • Space heaters
  • Window or free-standing air conditioners
  • Candles or incense
  • Pets, except for fish. (Please see the accommodation page for information regarding exceptions.)
  • Weapons or weapon parts
  • Amplifiers
  • Hoverboards
  • Smoking, including the use of electronic cigarettes, vaping, and tobacco is prohibited according to KU's Tobacco Free policy.
  • Alcohol or alcohol containers, such as wine or shot glasses, flasks, etc. (To view the complete alcohol policy, refer to the Student Housing Handbook.)

Additionally, the following items are prohibited in residence and scholarship halls:

  • Air fryers
  • Toasters
  • Toaster ovens
  • Hot plates
  • Electric skillets
  • Instant pots
  • Rice cookers
  • Wax warmers
  • Other appliances with exposed heating elements, such as a George Foreman grill


  • For room size measurements, consult the floor plans shown on your hall's page. Detailed measurements, such as shelf spacing and closet openings, are not listed as they may vary from room to room even in the same building.
  • Bring a hand cart or collapsible wagon for move in.
  • Label your boxes with your room number before you arrive.
  • Curtains mounted with an adjustable spring-loaded curtain rod are popular with residents who want to hide their closet space.

  • For residents who live in a suite: Coordinate with your roommates about large items such as televisions, mini-refrigerators, and microwaves.
  • After looking at the packing list, some residents wonder: Are we responsible for cleaning our bathroom and toilets? The answer is "it depends."
    • Are you in a hall with community bath? Then, no. The large bathrooms are taken care of by custodial staff.
    • Are you in a scholarship hall? Then, maybe, if you have cleaning as one of your shifts. Cleaning supplies will be provided.
    • Are you in a suite or Stouffer apartment with other roommates with whom you share a bath (or you have a private bath)? Then, yes. You clean the bathroom and toilets. We do not supply cleaning supplies or toilet paper for student bathrooms.

Policy Information


  • Check to see if your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance covers your belongings while you’re at KU.

  • Some agencies offer policies specifically for students living in on-campus housing.

  • The University of Kansas is not responsible for student personal property that is lost, stolen, or damaged. Student Housing insurance covers buildings only.